Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Friday, April 23, 2004

Thunderbolts and Lightening...

Last night I had an evening class to teach. The day had been hot and sunny, but by the time 6 o'clock rolled around I had changed into a longsleeved shirt to wear to class. About 15 minutes into the class, the sky turned green, a bolt of lightening flashed and was followed almost immediately by a tremendous clap of thunder. The wind started howling, and withing moments large chunks of hail started pelting the windows. My students rushed to the windows, threw them open and started catching the hail and tossing the chunks of ice back and forth across the room. It was complete chaos, and lasted for about 60 seconds - then the hail stopped, and my students returned to their seats. Then, about 5 minutes later, I saw a flash of round lightening. Yes - round. It was like a big ring of lightening that flashed, and was gone. After that the thunderstorm moved away, but I still had to walk home in the drenching rain. I couldn't have been wetter if I had of climbed into a bathtub fully dressed.

No comments: