Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Friday, July 21, 2006
















Adventures in Japan... (Part II)

Our accomodations in Japan were always nice and clean. We stayed for a few nights in a Youth Hostel, a few nights with good friends who used to teach here but now teach in Japan, and a few nights in a Capsule Hotel. Originally designed for business men who missed the last train home - due to overwork, or overindulgence in the surrounding entertainment districts - these hotels offer everything you need for an "oops, I didn't plan to stay the night" night. While most capsule hotels cater only to men, a few cater exclusively to women, or, like the ones we stayed in, provide a 'women's only ' floor. In the picture on the bottom, you can see Jen's excitement over our unique-to-Japan (I think) sleeping arrangements and an overview of what the establishment looks like, while the picture on the top shows a closer view of what the inside of the capsule looks like. It's big enough to sit up in, and has a TV, a shelf, a light, a radio and an alarm clock. Although there are no doors on the capsules, there is a macrame curtain you can pull down and hook from the inside. The hotel provides clean sheets, pillow cases and pajamas. In the morning you can take a shower or bath in the bath house, where towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and body wash are provided. If you're really in a pinch, you can also buy a clean dress shirt, socks, and boxers at the counter downstairs. All in all, it's a clean, cheap place to spend the night. (Earplugs are suggested though - just in case.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comme c'est bizzare! Are you sure you can sit up in those things?

Janice said...

Yup. If I was on my back and stretched my arm straight up, my fingers didn't reach the top of the capsule.

Anonymous said...

We saw this hotel on "The Amazing Race"...it is so cool that you got to stay there. Your adventure in Japan almost makes me want to go there (Scott will be shocked; he's wanted to go to Asia for years). You, and only you, have been able to begin the process of wearing down my resolve not to go. He thanks you.
Debie

Janice said...

Hey Debie,
When I was growing up I REALLY wanted to go to South America, and I REALLY wanted to go to Africa, and I had no interest whatsoever in East Asia. Now that I've been here for a while, I can honestly say it's well worth a visit. I think China was the most exciting, Korea the easiest to navigate, and Japan the least stressful. So C'mon over!