Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Adventures in Arms Trade...

Hey folks, I'm swamped with a pile of midterm exams and papers to grade, but the following tidbit of information caught my eye. Since I'm a chronic procrastinator, I decided I should take a few minutes and share it with you.

Does anyone else find it odd that even though the current US government is so all-fired-up & gung-ho about fighting the war on terrorism, they were the ONLY country, out of 164 countries, to vote AGAINST a proposed UN international arms trade treaty that would help stop the export of arms to conflict zones and countries who are spending more money on arms than on development? I don't get it. One one hand, they're doing all they can to fight the war on terrorism. On the other hand, they're the only ones opposed to restricting the willy-nilly distribution of arms across the globe.

If you want to read the whole article, you can find it here. I confess I've got a bias, so feel free to read the article and tell me I'm off base. Go ahead.

1 comment:

Mike Peacock said...

They were also the only country that didn't vote against putting weapons in space. All the other countries voted against it.