Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Adventures in Ambiliances

When I was a kid, apparently I loved a show called "Emergency!". In the interests of proper blogging research, I've just watched the opening theme on YouTube, and must admit none of it looks familiar. Nonetheless, my Mom assures me that I loved it (when I was 3). I also had trouble saying the word Ambulance and it came out more like Ambiliance. I doubt I'm the only person to have had trouble with that pesky term.

I was thinking these things today as I was actually speeding through the streets of Daegu in an ambulance today. It wasn't an emergency; the orthopaedic clinic I've been going to doesn't have it's own MRI machine, so they sent me by ambulance to the nearest radiology clinic. We were speeding because ... well, because we're in Korea. The experience was (thankfully) nothing like TV. There were no IV lines, wires, syringes, oxygen masks or people shouting "We need 4ccs of Haloperidol - STAT!" There was just a bright orange stretcher, a lingering stale cigarette odor, and the driver and I singing along to ABBA videos on the dashboard TV monitor. Yes, you read that correctly. I spent my first ambulance ride singing Karaoke to Dancing Queen. Hopefully, my loved ones and I will all remain healthy enough for this to be my one and only ambulance memory. Bizarre as it is.

As for my test results, my MCL injury has healed well; however, my MCL treatment weakened my quad muscle. This teamed up with a tilted pelvis which is causing hypertension in my thigh muscle, which is pulling my kneecap out of place, which is causing chondromalacia, which is causing pain. It'll take 3-4 months of physio to be up to snuff again, but I was thrilled that the doctor has now taken the word 'surgery' out of his assessment.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life....

5 comments:

norquay said...

Thanks. I had to go check the opening myself, and it's nothing like the very vague memory in my head. (Now I'm wondering what show is in my head.)
I remembered the opening to CHiPs pretty well, though. How about Wonder Woman...or Battle of the Planets...or...

norquay said...

There are whole episodes of BotP! I need something to occupy the kids...

mel said...

Gadzooks! You got to ride in a speeding ambulance and you weren't seriously injured? That is AWESOME! Did you get to hear the siren, too?

That's a long recovery, but hopefully you'll be back to full function at the end of the physio... I hope you won't be attempting any more grocery shopping in the meantime!

Debie said...

I watched "Emergency". Not sure where, since our family didn't have TV, but I think I watched it babysitting...yes, I'm old.
Glad to hear that surgury may not be needed. Happpy Physio-ing!!

Janice said...

Haha, after this post, I spent an afternoon watching old opening theme songs to old shows on youtube.