Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Adventures in S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y...


Since today is Saturday, neither school nor church was going to get me out of my house, so I had to come up with another plan. With no scheduled demands on my time, I was free to fill my day as I saw fit.

I spent the morning cleaning my apartment and doing laundry. Most of my laundry I take to have washed and ironed by a young woman down the street. Some things I prefer to wash on my own, so I take them to the laundromat downstairs. It's not the kind of laundromat we have in Canada. As you can see from the photo, it's just a row of washing machines lined up outside a cell-phone store.


After everything was clean and tidy,



I headed off to my favourite coffee shop to get some more school work done. I hunkered down in there for two hours, until my laptop battery died.



At that point, I packed up and tried out the Fish Foot Spa.

My plan was to read/study while little fishies were working hard to make my feet soft and smooooooth. The first five minutes were ticklish and prickly and squirmy and terrible. Eventually my frightened little nerve endings calmed down and I was able to relax for the rest of the hour. I did get some reading done, but I was facing a plate glass window that looked out onto the market street. Eventually, I put my book down and watched the street come to life as vendors arrived and set up their stalls.

The fish finished their work around 6pm, just in time for me to head out into the market and find myself some dinner. This is where I usually forage for my food on Friday and Saturday nights. Tonight, I opted for some of the Pad Thai and a bit of Northern Thai sausage.

I brought everything home and sat out on my balcony watching the clouds roll in over the mountain as I enjoyed my dinner. There are some lovely sunset views from this vantage point when it's not overcast. Oh, and that's the roof of the laundromat you can see in the foreground.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I tried to leave two votes, one for I like this, and one for Keep trying (I want to see what else there is!) but it won't let me. So you'll have to put your polling numbers into context, and rest easy knowing that I can't rig the vote.

Janice said...

Hmmm, thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can fix it and put your votes in.

Steve Pye said...

I love Pad Thai. Just ate some yesterday. Extra spicy. With extra tofu.