Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Adventures in Airing Dirty Laundry...

 I mean the title of this post quite literally.  At 4:30 this afternoon, I aired my dirty laundry.   If you want to know why, I should back up a few hours...

  I had a fantastic lunch with my friend Britte-Catherine. (I had a grilled chicken, avocado and salsa sandwich on 7-grain bread, in case you wanted to know.)   Afterward, we spent a few minutes sniffing lovely lotions and shampoos in the drug store (yes, I'm a girl), until I accidentally squirted one up my nose, after which everything smelled like jasmine and cocoa hand cream (but now I have a very soft nostril, in case you wanted to know.)  While Britte-Catherine was still sniffing, I realized we were close to the flower market, and since I cleaned my apartment yesterday, all my tabletops were looking bare and neglected without their towers of books and lacy coating of dust.  I also have a great moldible-flexible plastic vase that has been sad and empty for quite some time.  Putting all these things together in my mind, (while trying to discreetly empty my nose of lotion - unsuccessfully, in case you wanted to know), I thought it would be a great idea to pick up some fresh cut flowers on the way home.


 I bought a gorgeous bunch of red and orange orchidy kind of looking things and carefully unwrapped them when I got back to my apartment.  I pulled out my vase and cheerfully arranged the flowers in it.  However, they wouldn't all fit, so I just arranged a few and put them on my bedroom dresser.  I turned my back for a moment, and when I looked again, the vase had toppled over and soaked the cat's carpet covered scratching post, so I spent 20 minutes scrubbing the hairy thing dry.  


  When I was finished, I tried again - but with fewer flowers in the vase.  It looked sturdy, so I came out here to tell you all about my pretty flowers.  Moments later, I heard the unmistakable sound of pouring water...the vase had toppled again. This time, it spewed all its water directly into my laundry hamper.  Muttering under my breath, I hauled out my soaking dirty laundry and started hanging it up on the drying rack.  I felt a little ridiculous pinning up dirty clothes. 


  Since I've had the vase for a long time, and have always liked it, and since the flowers are quite new, and I don't know them very well at all, I have naturally blamed the flowers for both disasters.  As a result, the whole lot of them are now sitting ignominiously in my mop bucket. 


Eventually, I'll forgive them, and go find them a bigger vase.



 

No comments: