Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Thursday, May 13, 2004

And the beat goes on...

Next week is Festival Week here at DaeguDae. Already there are tents, stages, lights and mammoth speakers being erected around campus. It should be a fun week. My students are already excited about it, and have been inviting me to come visit their tents (each faculty has a beer tent, with snacks, games and, well, ... beer).

We're expected to teach next week...even though the music is so loud we'll hardly be able to hear ourselves talk, only 4 or 5 of the keenest students will actually come to class, and even they will be hung-over. So, I've told my students that I'll be there, but I won't be taking attendance. To my students, this translates as "Oh, I don't have to go to class."

On Saturday, 2 of our teachers will be close to their birthdays, so all the teachers are getting together to play volleyball and/or frisbee in the afternoon, and rounding off the evening with a big BBQ bash. There are big brick BBQ's in a little park near our apartments, and everyone is always up for a good reason to slap some meat on the coals.

All this makes me realize that I've been here for 3 months (nearly a whole semester), and I still don't feel as though I've been working. I feel as though I've been on holidays ever since the weather turned nice. Ahhhhhh..... Life is Good.

No comments: