Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Adventures in The Secret...

Apparently, there's been a buzz lately about the DVD/book "The Secret". I hadn't heard anything about it until it was on Oprah yesterday. From what I gathered, it's all about this NEWLY DISCOVERED, amazing secret to living a satisfying life. As I watched though, all I could think was "Hey - that's not newly discovered! It's plagiarism!" Some examples:

1) You should forgive people that have hurt you. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, the Bible. (Luke 11:4)

2) You should be grateful for all the circumstances in your life. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, the Bible. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

3) You should project 'good energy' (ie be cheerful). Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, the Bible. (Proverbs 17:22)

Now, I certainly agree with all the things above. I have no objections to encouraging people to be thankful, forgiving and cheerful. I do object to the makers of 'The Secret' stealing the bullet points from the plan God created for us; instead of giving credit where credit is due, casting God aside in favour or "the Universe", "a higher power" and "a [random, unnamed]spiritual force".

It's like having a conversation like this:

Joe: "Hey, a strong wind in a funnel shape destroyed my house."
Sam: "Really? A tornado destroyed your house?"
Joe: "No, no, not a tornado. It was a big funnel cloud and a strong strong wind."
Sam: "Joe, that's a tornado."
Joe: "It couldn't have been. I KNOW it wasn't a tornado, but it was just like in the Wizard of Oz."
Sam: "Joe, you're a moron."

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ha ha ha I agree 100% this is why I don't watch Oprah too often because of her whole "new age" thing. Unless of course she's doing something on Africa and then I'm all over that! Surprise I read your blog :)

Erin

Janice said...

Hi Erin, I'm glad you read my blog :)

I usually like Oprah because she tells me how to buy a bra that fits, and how to choose jeans that make my butt look smaller. But sometimes, I'm afraid she's just all wrong.

Anonymous said...

Janice... thanks for pointing out the fact that "The Secret" is little but a very lucrative reinvention of the wheel. I am with you!

Blessings.