Making my way through Asia (and grad school) one adventurous step at a time.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Adventures in the Best Salad Ever...

Yes, it's true - not only are you getting 2 posts in one day, you're also getting a delicious and nutritious recipe. It's been on page 112 of my favourite cookbook for years, but I've always passed it by because it looked 'boring' and 'dull'. However, I had some cabbage to use up, and had most of these ingredients on hand. My mouth was so pleasantly surprised. Without further ado, here it is........

Vietnamese Chicken Salad (from Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook)

Cook and debone:
1 lb. chicken pieces (extra nice if cooked with some Anise seeds)
Place in a serving bowl:
3-4 cups cabbage, chopped in thin slices
Add:
1 tsp salt
Rub salt in cabbage and let stand a few minutes.
Add:
1 1/2 T. vinegar
1 T. sugar
3 green onions, chopped
3 sprigs of cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
chicken meat, chopped
1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
black and red ground pepper to taste.
Mix and serve

I've also made it with some sauteed shitake mushrooms or diced red peppers.

No comments: